I would say I’m shocked that an innocent photo of a lemon reamer turned into a spirited discussion on burning water
Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut I should know better than that by now.
FOR THE RECORD, THE SITUATION WAS FOLLOWS:
- VERY LARGE SPARKLERS
- MANY GOTHS
- MUCH WATER
- SUCH SPARKLE!
- BURNING WATER! WOW!
Or, you know, we really did just kind of fail at load balancing the sparkler dunk tanks. WE DID NOT ACTUALLY SET THE WATER ON FIRE. THE WATER JUST HELD THE FIRE FOR SAFE KEEPING. NO ONE DIED. NO PROPERTY WAS DAMAGED. EVERYTHING WAS JUST FINE.
Also, TOTALLY not gothiccharmschool's fault. Yes, it was her house, but it takes a village to make flames jump out of a bucket of water. WE ARE ALL GUILTY! So it should not be used against her when she lobbies for a flame thrower.
The things people should take away from this story:
- We are magical creatures who can set water on fire.
- I am completely trustworthy with fire, as I have never injured anyone or caused property damage.
- Therefore, I should totally be allowed a flame thrower. Or one of those low-flame “weed dragon” gardening tool things.
1. Sparklers are coated in a fuel oxidizer mixture, they have all the O2 they need to burn in solid chemical form already so under the right circumstances can burn underwater
2. Sparklers burn very hot, near or in the same range as magnesium (their fuel source is primarly Al if memory serves) so also given proper conditions much like a magnesium ribbon dunked in water catalyzes enough O2 from the water to continue burning a sparkler can rob enough O2 via catalyzation to make up for any deficits in it’s oxidizer supply while igniting the hydrogen produced consuming the remainder.
Science, Jilli. Not magic.
The flaming water bucket was science. Not even sufficiently advanced science, so totally distinguishable from magic.
Science that lends itself readily to DIY, in this case. I say, having a child who has to do science fair things annually.
WE CAN MAKE OUR OWN STICKS OF FLAMING GLITTER!
FINALLY A USE FOR THE WIRE HANGERS!
Shit, someone’s going to tell Peev I said this, aren’t they? Then he’s going to come loom at me and make the squincy face and take away my designated adult card.
OUR OWN STICKS OF FLAMING GLITTER!
THANK YOU, SCIENCE SIDE OF TUMBLR!
::runs off cackling, while the RealHusband shouts “NO!”::