Anonymous asked: Auntie Jilli, I notice that you say you turn off a lot of vampire movies at a certain point, or that the movies are pretty but the story or an actor just isn't right for it. Do you have a perfect or favorite vampire movie?
So far, there has been no absolutely perfect vampire movie for me. A short list of “Almost, but not quite”:
- Coppola’s Dracula is beautiful, but not at all true to the book.
- The exact same thing can be said about the version of Dracula that starred Frank Langella.
- The original Tod Browning Dracula is iconic (Bela!), but again, not true to the book.
- The Lost Boys is fun (and full of attractive vampires), but I seethe over Star never being shown vamping out, and I object to the Lost Boys being killed.
- Near Dark is wonderful (the roadhouse scene!), but the last ten minutes are dreadful.
- The Hunger has the best opening for a vampire movie ever. But the rest of the movie doesn’t quite live up to that opening for me.
Honestly, the closest thing to a perfect vampire movie for me is Interview With The Vampire. Gorgeous, has amoral vampires, and doesn’t shy away from the blood. My only quibble with it is that while Tom Cruise did a great performance (much to everyone’s surprise when the movie was released), he’s still not MY perfect Lestat.
I am nurturing hopes that Only Lovers Left Alive will turn out to be my perfect vampire movie.